Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What do you want to be?

    As a child, we are often asked "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Many of us have heard some humorous answers to that question, but some of us need to think about that again. Where have your dreams gone? Are you following your heart? Are you living your dream? Have you "given up" on ever becoming what you really want? Joseph had a dream, but circumstances seemed to go contrary to what He saw.
    Most of us know the story about Joseph and His dream. We say it as his dream, but who gave him the dream? Have you ever been a "favorite" student? Have you ever been "picked out of the crowd"?, but didn't really want to be. Joseph's first problem was that he shared his dreams with his brothers. They were already angry with him, or jealous of him because he was "Dad's favorite son." Then He shows up with a special coat that said even louder, "I love him more than any of the rest of you!"
    What would you have done? They wanted to kill him. Fortunately a little wisdom was exercised, and they sold him as a slave. I guess this would be like a "life" sentence over a "death" sentence. Regardless, he was cast away and removed from his comfort zone. He was removed from family and friends and the Father that he loved and that loved him.
    Many of us have dreams, but if they are "from God" then God will bring them to pass. The same God who gives the dream is able to carry it to fruition. It is worthy of note that Joseph did not forget his God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The favor of God remained upon him even though he was no longer with the father. The Father was with him, throughout the course of his life.
    Every time I read the story of Joseph I cry, it touches me in a deep place. Why? Maybe I can relate, and even though things are tough and I am not doing the thing that I want to do in the way that I want to do it, I still have life. When it is time, God knows how to bring you to the forefront. God has perfect timing, HE is never late.
    Why do I write this? I have a feeling that many of us are doing a daily routine, but sometimes we feel trapped like Joseph did when he was in prison. We want "out" but God says stay. God says "Be still and know that I am God." Many of us are in the preparation, and in our daily routine He is preparing us for that mountain top experience. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans of good and not of evil, to give you a hope (Ha'tikvah) and a future." God sees the end from the beginning.  Sometimes hope looks beyond the seen into the unseen. Hope believes all things. Hope believes all things. Hope endures all things. Hatikvah is the National Anthem of Israel, and it was David's last song. He saw into the eyes of His Father. God shall redeem Israel. He is our hope and our eternal reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment