Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Trouble with Parents

Do you ever wish your Parents would just leave you alone? Does your Parents ever really bug you? The Bible says to "Honor your Parents." What does that mean? We have lost a lot of understanding in America. How do we "honor" someone? The word "Honor" means "to speak well of," a person of superior standing, a good name, etc... When we honor someone, we show them respect, even when we don't "feel like it." One may get angry with one of higher rank and yet still show respect. As a child I honored my parents by obeying them, by following their lead, by paying attention. by saying "Yes Ma'am and No Ma'am" or "Yes Sir! and No Sir!" I showed them respect by taking my hat off when I came into the house. Did I do this automatically? Of course not, they taught me. They taught me sometimes out of anger, sometimes out of love, sometimes with Prayer, but all of the time by example. With children, I am convinced that "more is caught, than taught!"
Sometimes we do not appreciate what we have until it is gone, or in the case of Parents - until they are gone. When Parents die, it leaves a big "hole" in your heart. I wish I could say "I'm sorry!" or give them one more "Big Hug" - but I can't. They are gone, but not forgotten. They are gone - but I will see them again on the other side.
My parents were very good Parents, but like most Parents - they made mistakes, like we ALL do! I've had my share, but my Parents did the best they could, and then some. I wish that I could say the same. They left a lot of "good stuff" in me though, and they taught me what matters the most. They did not send me to church, they took me to church. My Dad hated large crowds and hated being around boisterous crowds and smoking, but He came to see me at football games when I was the Drum Major of my High School Band. Mom was the best cook, and she would always listen. She was good at "prodding me" in the right direction. If you are young and you can't stand your parents - Welcome to the club! BUT, say to them "Mom and Dad - regardless, I love you!" Then do what they tell you to do. It will NOT kill you, even though some times it may "feel" like it. One thing that I have learned about emotions, You cannot trust them. Honor is best portrayed by Obedience. Be a doer and not just a hearer! Doers get rewards, Hearers suffer from their own stubbornness. When you come against the authority over your head (Parents, Bosses, Pastors, Teachers, etc...), you only hurt yourself. When you are older, you will be glad that you "honored" your parents, it will be a crown of life to you. Many rewards come with honoring your parents, and God promises long life to those who do. One Day it will all be worth it! God is watching!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment